WASHINGTON, DC - Have you ever wondered how to crack a crab like a Maryland local? We are here to help. There are many different ways to free that sweet sweet backfin, but we think Jody Schulz, owner of Fisherman’s Inn, in Kent Island, Maryland has the best method.
1. First, place the crab in your hands.
2. Pull the top shell right off of the crab.
3.Then if you want, lay the crab down on the table.
4.Take a knife and scrape off the lungs. (Trust us, you DO NOT want to eat those.)
5.Yank off the claws with a pull and a twist. Sometimes you can get a nice piece of meat out of it.
6. After the claws are off: Take a knife and cut the legs off the knuckles.
7. Clean all the inside out (all of those ooey gooey intestines.)
8. Remove where the intestines were. (Yes we know its a lot of work but bear with us, it it SO worth it.)
9. Separate the top from the bottom opening it up to all that delicious crab meat.
10. Take your knife and work it around the back fin to scrape out the meat.
11. Take the claws and crack them to search for any additional meat!
And don’t forget your warm melted butter and vinegar to dip the mouth watering crab in!