MULBERRY (FOX 13) - Firefighters are trained to save lives; usually human lives, but a Polk County Fire Rescue guy by the name of John Williams made what could the most unusual save in history. He saved the life of Rodney the guinea pig.
Kristi Waller and her two daughters, Jyllian and Pepper, 2, could not be any happier.
"I could never repay him," Kristi told FOX 13 News.
The rescue happened at Kristi's home in the 3300 block of Cross Fox Drive. It all started when Kristi's boyfriend was making French fries and dropped the pan. Hot grease splattered all over, and in minutes, the entire house went up in flames.
Waller, her boyfriend and her two daughters made it out, but Rodney was still in the burning house. Williams ran inside, saved Rodney and gave him oxygen using a respirator made for an infant.
Kristi says she lost everything, and does not have renter's insurance, so a GoFundMe page has been set up for the family.
The kids have gone through a lot, but at least they have Rodney still by their side.
"He is probably their favorite thing, " Kristi said. "They get home and the first thing they say is can I hold Rodney?"
Thanks to a quick thinking firefighter, the answer will still be yes.