VIDEO: E-cigarette explodes in woman's purse

A New Jersey woman's $1,200 purse burned up on a sales counter in a mall when a battery exploded.  And the entire thing was caught on a security camera.

Mara McInerney of Matawan, N.J. was shopping at the Freehold Raceway Mall on Sept. 11 when the incident took place.  She was at a Sunglass Hut counter speaking to the salesperson when a huge cloud of smoke poured out of the purse.  The employee took off running while McInerney backed away.

She grabbed the purse and dumped the contents on the floor but it was too late to save the bag, her wallet, several pieces of jewelry and an undetermined amount of cash.  Everything had either melted or burned.

McInerney says the battery of her e-cigarette had been in a pocket by itself and exploded.

She says she had no idea that the devices could pose any danger and says she will no longer use them since she has a young daughter at home.

"At least it wasn't one of my Chanels," McInerney said.

Up Next:


Up Next

  • VIDEO: E-cigarette explodes in woman's purse
  • Police kill bear that was roaming in shore town
  • Russian news anchor's hilarious reaction when dog crashes live broadcast
  • Firefighters expect full containment in Mandeville brush fire in Brentwood
  • El Mirage family wakes up to spray painted racial slurs on home, neighborhood comes together to help
  • Community helps homeless veteran locate missing medical alert dog
  • AP source: Kushner back channel with Russia involved Syria
  • Police: Suspect in Portland stabbings ranted about Muslims
  • Child thrown from slide at new water park
  • No threat after Newark Airport suspicious package evacuation