US issues new terrorism travel alert for Europe

WASHINGTON (AP) — State Department is warning Americans living in and traveling to Europe of the ongoing threat of terrorist attacks on the continent through the summer.

In a new travel alert issued on Monday, the department said the Islamic State group, al-Qaida and their affiliates retain the "ability and to plan and execute" attacks in Europe. It said the U.S. officials remain concerned about the potential for future attacks, following a series of strikes in France, Russia, Sweden and Britain.

The alert said U.S. citizens should be especially vigilant at large, high profile events, particularly during the summer travel season.

The department's last terror alert for Europe was issued on November 21 last year and expired on February 20.

Monday's alert expires on September 1.

Up Next:


Up Next

  • US issues new terrorism travel alert for Europe
  • Driver jumps rising drawbridge, operator error blamed
  • Visually impaired have chance to experience eclipse thanks to Georgia Tech
  • Charlottesville mayor calls on VA governor to help remove Robert E. Lee statue
  • Five-alarm fire destroys Fort Worth warehouse
  • NAACP calling for boycott of NFL, Atlanta Falcons
  • Six Flags Over Texas takes down Confederate flag
  • Steve Bannon out as White House chief strategist
  • Small town in GA has big plans for solar eclipse
  • Atlanta woman celebrates 104th birthday on Friday