US issues new terrorism travel alert for Europe

WASHINGTON (AP) — State Department is warning Americans living in and traveling to Europe of the ongoing threat of terrorist attacks on the continent through the summer.

In a new travel alert issued on Monday, the department said the Islamic State group, al-Qaida and their affiliates retain the "ability and to plan and execute" attacks in Europe. It said the U.S. officials remain concerned about the potential for future attacks, following a series of strikes in France, Russia, Sweden and Britain.

The alert said U.S. citizens should be especially vigilant at large, high profile events, particularly during the summer travel season.

The department's last terror alert for Europe was issued on November 21 last year and expired on February 20.

Monday's alert expires on September 1.

Up Next:


Up Next

  • US issues new terrorism travel alert for Europe
  • CAPTURED: Harford County, Delaware shooting suspect taken into custody
  • Cherokee County teacher at center of Trump t-shirt flap resigns
  • 122 arrested in national sex trafficking sting; 2 in northern Illinois
  • Mississippi school named for Confederate leader to be renamed after Obama
  • Was KSU pressured to keep cheerleaders off the field?
  • 80-year old triathlete still going strong
  • Body found in the Atlanta sewer in Buckhead
  • Human smuggler found at Walmart with illegal immigrants in trailer pleads guilty
  • Who is Radee Labeeb Prince? Harford County workplace shooting suspect has extensive criminal history