Serena Williams gets sick after eating dog food

ROME (AP) — The gourmet food Serena Williams ordered off the hotel room-service menu for dogs looked good enough for her to eat. So the top-ranked tennis player sampled it, and later got sick.

Williams posted a video Wednesday on Snapchat showing the salmon and rice dish she ordered for her Yorkshire Terrier at their hotel during the Italian Open.

Noting how good it looked, she tells the camera: "I ate a spoonful. Don't judge me!"

Williams says the bite tasted weird, "a little bit like a house-cleaner thing," but she ate it anyway.

She says within two hours, she had to run to the bathroom. She recovered in time to beat fellow American Christina McHale 7-6 (7), 6-1 in the third round Thursday.

The dog, Chip, appeared fine watching Williams from her player's box.

Williams says of the doggy menu: "I don't think it's consumable for humans. They should have wrote that!"


Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Up Next:


Up Next

  • Serena Williams gets sick after eating dog food
  • Joe Anderson back in the NFL, lands job with New York Jets
  • Michael Jordan donates $8.9M in lawsuit proceeds to 23 charities
  • Giants forge 1st-place tie by beating Dolphins 31-24
  • High school coach pleads guilty in player attack on referee
  • Cause of Death Release for Former Braves Pitcher Tommy Hanson
  • GQ: Colin Kaepernick is 'citizen of the year'
  • Christian players frustrated by criticism for anthem protest
  • 49ers Marquise Goodwin lost his son before Sunday's game, due to pregnancy complications
  • Remembering Roy Halladay: MLB honors legend gone too soon