Checking Movers with the Division of Consumer Affairs - My9 New Jersey

Checking Movers with the Division of Consumer Affairs

Posted: Updated:

Before hiring a mover, review the tips available on the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs website at

Advice to consumers include:

  • Call the Division of Consumer Affairs at 800-242-5846 to verify if the mover you're considering is licensed. You should also ask whether consumer complaints have been filed against the mover.
  • Obtain a written estimate from the mover you select. The cost can be estimated on an hourly rate, by weight and miles traveled, or by cubic measurement.
  • Never pack jewelry, money, or valuable documents such as house deeds or birth certificates with your goods to be moved.
  • Check your goods as they are being delivered. If any are lost or damaged, notify the mover immediately. A damage claim can be filed up to 90 days after the move date.
  • Unless you purchase additional coverage, the mover is required to compensate you only up to 60 cents per pound, per article, for damages.


To file a complaint or verify if a mover is licensed visit the State Division of Consumer Affairs by visiting their website or by calling 1-800-242-5846.

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices