NJ Online Gambling A Success? - My9 New Jersey

NJ Online Gambling A Success?

Posted: Updated:
Atlantic City, New Jersey (My9NJ) -

New Jersey’s Online gaming industry hit the ground running this past week with over 37,000 people opening online accounts in the first week.

The TV ads have begun and Governor Christie is touting an expected $1 billion in gambling revenue to close New Jersey’s budget gap.

Unfortunately, there is another side to this online gaming that not many people are discussing. Increased access to gambling online and more marketing could lead to an increase in gambling addiction.

Recovering gambling addict Gary Schneider, who now works with the Council On Compulsive Gambling in Trenton, New Jersey said this could end up being a big problem for the Garden State.

“I don’t know if you have a gambling problem or any people that’s working for you have a gambling problem, but if you were drinking or coking or drugging on it, you’d be stumbling, you’d be smelling it, you’d be seeing it. Anyone is susceptible to being a gambler without knowing about it and that’s the devastation in gambling addiction,” he said.

Most experts admit that 95% of NJ gamblers won’t have a problem with addiction, but online gaming will make the remaining 5% that much harder to identify and the damage much more severe because it could take months or years to identify and fix the problem.

Schneider also said that most gambling addicts won’t seek help until they hit rock bottom. “You can go on and gamble and gamble until the last dollar is bet or lost including your home, including your pension, including your 401K,” he said.

There are currently 350,000 problem gamblers in New Jersey and that number is expected to increase. Legislators said that they would only approve online gaming if the revenue benefit outweighed the gambling issues. We’ll soon know if that turns out to be true.


Watch Chasing New Jersey weeknights at 10pm on My9 and don’t forget to like us on Facebook!

  • Chasing New JerseyMore>>

  • NJ Doctor Offering Alternative To Obamacare?

    NJ Doctor Offering Alternative To Obamacare?

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:24 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:24:21 GMT
    Doctor Alieta Eck is running for U.S. Congress in the 12th district as a Republican. She's recently made headlines due to a free clinic that she created back in 2003 with her husband called the Zarephath Health Center. The clinic is a 501C3 run by volunteers and funded through donations. The average cost per patient that Dr. Eck sees is about $13.Some people are referring to this center as an alternative to Obamacare.
    Doctor Alieta Eck is running for U.S. Congress in the 12th district as a Republican. She's recently made headlines due to a free clinic that she created back in 2003 with her husband called the Zarephath Health Center. The clinic is a 501C3 run by volunteers and funded through donations. The average cost per patient that Dr. Eck sees is about $13.Some people are referring to this center as an alternative to Obamacare.
  • Is The Boston Bomber’s Family In North Bergen A Threat?

    Is The Boston Bomber’s Family In North Bergen A Threat?

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 11:31 AM EDT2014-09-02 15:31:20 GMT
    The widow of the alleged Boston Marathon bomber, Katherine Russell, has been living in North Bergen with the sisters of her former husband, Bella and Ailina Tsarnaev. Neighbors in the area have just recently been made aware of her presence in town, but not all of them are happy about it.
    The widow of the alleged Boston Marathon bomber, Katherine Russell, has been living in North Bergen with the sisters of her former husband, Bella and Aliana Tsarnaev . Neighbors in the area have just recently been made aware of her presence in town, but not all of them are happy about it.
  • NJ Couple Combating The Stray Cat Problem In Union City

    NJ Couple Combating The Stray Cat Problem In Union City

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 11:11 AM EDT2014-09-02 15:11:46 GMT
    Union City has a major stray cat problem. Hundreds of cats are overtaking the city streets and Mercy Garcia and her husband Miguel Fernandez, founders of TLC Rescue, have been doing an unbelievable job of getting the situation under control, but they need help. So far, the couple has been able to round up over 200 felines, but they say there are hundreds more that need help.
    Union City has a major stray cat problem. Hundreds of cats are overtaking the city streets and Mercy Garcia and her husband Miguel Fernandez, founders of TLC Rescue, have been doing an unbelievable job of getting the situation under control, but they need help. So far, the couple has been able to round up over 200 felines, but they say there are hundreds more that need help.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices