Lawsuit filed against Christie, others over jams - My9 New Jersey

Lawsuit filed against Christie, others over jams

Posted: Updated:
MYFOXNY.COM/AP -

Tens of thousands of people could potentially join a federal lawsuit filed against Gov. Chris Christie, the state of New Jersey, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, and others over traffic jams in September.

The suit filed Thursday appears to be the first civil claim over the traffic backup that was apparently caused as political punishment for the Fort Lee mayor.

The plaintiffs want it certified as a class action.

Lawyer Rosemarie Arnold says she filed it after learning this week that lane closures on an approach to the George Washington Bridge were "deliberate actions." She says that her clients were late for work and that one suffered a panic attack.

"It came out of nowhere. When something happens on the bridge you hear about it the night before or police are there telling you. We tried to get out you couldn’t go forward you, you couldn’t go backwards… time was just passing.  There was no place to get through. You get very red and anxious. I’m just glad I threw up and that it didn't go the other way," said Joy Galicki who joined the lawsuit.

"The first Monday after Labor Day. The first day that school started. This is a case of abuse of power and this abuse cost a lot of people a lot of money," said Arnold.

"I’m more upset that I physically got sick.And that's very upsetting," said Galicki.

Christie has denied involvement. His spokesman did not respond to an email seeking comment.

"Time is money. In Joy's case she has a physical and emotional injury from this," said Arnold.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:38 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:38:39 GMT

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

  • East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:34:55 GMT
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
  • FEMA chief questioned over Sandy claims

    FEMA chief questioned over Sandy claims

    Hurricane Sandy damage in Mantoloking, N.J.Hurricane Sandy damage in Mantoloking, N.J.
    The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency has asked an independent watchdog to examine whether the flood-insurance program is shortchanging Superstorm Sandy victims.
    The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency has asked an independent watchdog to examine whether the flood-insurance program is shortchanging Superstorm Sandy victims.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices