Car catches fire in lion enclosure at safari - My9 New Jersey

Car catches fire in lion enclosure at safari

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) - A British family faced a dilemma when their car burst into flames in the middle of a safari park's lion enclosure.

Helen Clements and her two children were on the safari adventure when their vehicle started to overheat and eventually caught fire.

The family faced a potential life-or-death decision of whether to stay in the car and risk being engulfed by the flames or leave the car and face the lions.

Clements says it was frightening.

"The flames came out of the car and was obviously coming into the car, we then thought we better get out of the car but obviously the rangers were saying 'get back in the car,' obviously for the safety reasons, so it was very difficult to know what to do," Clements said.

The rangers at the safari raced to save the family.

"There's always a ranger with their eye on the animals and a ranger there to assist the family. That training kicked into action and all worked well, so the first ranger stayed close by the lions whilst the second ranger was able to relatively freely get the family out of the vehicle," Alex Lloyd of the Longleast Safari Park said.

No one was hurt in the rescue.

"We're all safe and I think that's the way you've got to look at it, and you can look back on it now and... 'thank goodness we're all safe' by why did it have to be in the lion enclosure, of all places?" Clements asked.

Follow Luke Funk on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/lukefunknews
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices