Brooklyn DA: family of gun runners indicted - My9 New Jersey

Brooklyn DA: family of gun runners indicted

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Law enforcement experts say that New York's strict gun laws create a lucrative black market for guns brought in from other states.

The NYPD and the Brooklyn district attorney are putting one family-run gun-trafficking ring out of business. It all started with tips from Brooklyn residents fed up with gun violence.

Undercover NYPD officers bought 155 guns for $126,000 in 13 separate buys. The weapons even include automatics; an AR-15 assault rifle, a MAC-11, and two TEC-9s. There was no shortage.

Police Commissioner William Bratton said ringleader Michael Quick, 32, would drive from Georgia up I-95, nicknamed the iron pipeline, and sell them at about $800 a piece.

Police called the seven-month sting operation "Lucky 7." But seven was an unlucky number for Quick. Bratton said the former Brooklyn resident used family and friends to allegedly buy and steal guns in Georgia. Many of the guns had their serial numbers burned off with acid.

Kings County DA Ken Thompson said a grand jury indicted Quick, his wife, two uncles, and two friends on felony gun-trafficking charges.

Police said the number of shootings in the city so far this year is the same as in 2013, and that the murder rate is actually down. But the recent shooting of a 13-year-old boy in the eye outraged many people. The Brooklyn DA said the office wants to send a message that gun trafficking will not be tolerated.

  • Brooklyn NewsBrooklyn NewsMore>>

  • White flags raised at Brooklyn Bridge

    White flags raised at Brooklyn Bridge

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 9:22 PM EDT2014-07-23 01:22:00 GMT
    The NYPD is investigating a major security breach at the Brooklyn Bridge, one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City. Two white flags — international symbols of surrender — fluttered from poles on the stone supports that hold cables above the bridge connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan. The flags had a faint appearance of the stars and stripes. The American flags that are normally up at the bridge appeared to have been removed.
    The NYPD is investigating a major security breach at the Brooklyn Bridge, one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City. Two white flags — international symbols of surrender — fluttered from poles on the stone supports that hold cables above the bridge connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan. The flags had a faint appearance of the stars and stripes. The American flags that are normally up at the bridge appeared to have been removed.
  • Polluted Gowanus Canal doesn't scare away neighborhood development

    Polluted Gowanus Canal doesn't scare away neighborhood development

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 8:57 AM EDT2014-07-22 12:57:02 GMT
    Every day, those who live and work in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn drive and bike and walk across their canal, growing a little more accustomed to but no less disgusted by its scent and appearance. Once the busiest canal in the United States, the Gowanus now bears the distinction as perhaps the most polluted body of water in the nation. No one knows exactly how polluted because few have summoned enough courage to dive into its murky depths to investigate.
    Every day, those who live and work in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn drive and bike and walk across their canal, growing a little more accustomed to but no less disgusted by its scent and appearance. Once the busiest canal in the United States, the Gowanus now bears the distinction as perhaps the most polluted body of water in the nation. No one knows exactly how polluted because few have summoned enough courage to dive into its murky depths to investigate.
  • reBar wedding venue owner gets 10-year sentence

    reBar wedding venue owner gets 10-year sentence

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:19 AM EDT2014-07-22 10:19:21 GMT
    The owner of a popular Brooklyn restaurant that closed abruptly and left dozen of couples without a wedding venue has been sentenced to up to 10 years in prison. Jason Stevens pleaded guilty last month to grand larceny and criminal tax fraud charges. He closed his restaurant, reBar, without warning in May.
    The owner of a popular Brooklyn restaurant that closed abruptly and left dozen of couples without a wedding venue has been sentenced to up to 10 years in prison. Jason Stevens pleaded guilty last month to grand larceny and criminal tax fraud charges. He closed his restaurant, reBar, without warning in May.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices