LIRR contract talks set to resume next week - My9 New Jersey

LIRR contract talks set to resume next week

Posted: Updated:

By FRANK ELTMAN | AP

MINEOLA, N.Y. (AP) -- Negotiations aimed at averting a strike by workers at the nation's largest commuter railroad are scheduled to resume next week at a session scheduled by the National Mediation Board, union and management officials said Wednesday.

Unions representing 5,400 Long Island Rail Road workers have said they intend to strike unless an agreement is reached by July 20.

"We will be in attendance at the meeting and hope the MTA comes to their senses and considers our latest fair counter proposal," said Anthony Simon, the workers' chief negotiator. "We will do what it takes to hopefully prevent a strike as we have always have done."

The railroad's unions voted to authorize a strike after working without a contract since 2010. President Barack Obama appointed two emergency boards to help resolve the dispute but the MTA rejected both non-binding recommendations.

The emergency board's last proposal called for a 17 percent raise over six years while leaving work rules and pensions alone. The MTA last week offered a 17 percent wage increase over seven years. Its earlier offer called for an 11 percent hike over six years.

The MTA offer also seeks concessions including requiring current employees to contribute 2 percent of regular pay toward health care costs. Currently, LIRR workers don't contribute toward their health insurance.

A strike could affect 300,000 daily riders, most of whom travel in and out of New York City from Long Island.

"We are eager to get back to the bargaining table through the National Mediation Board on Tuesday," said Anita Miller, MTA director of labor relations. "We are hoping the unions will come prepared to engage in substantive negotiations on our latest fair and generous proposal, which meets the demands of current LIRR employees by offering 17 percent raises, including $22,000 in average back pay."

Also Wednesday, several state senators from Long Island urged Gov. Andrew Cuomo to intervene in the talks. A spokesman for the governor did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment.

 

  • Long Island NewsLong Island NewsMore>>

  • Fatal boat explosion on Long Island

    Fatal boat explosion on Long Island

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 9:56 PM EDT2014-08-21 01:56:27 GMT
    Detectives from the Nassau County Homicide Squad are investigating an explosion that destroyed a boat, burned two docks, and killed one person in Manorhaven on Wednesday afternoon. Two dock workers and two boaters were gassing up a docked 33-foot Carver motor boat just after 2:45 p.m. when an explosion tore through the boat, setting it and the dock on fire, police said.
    Detectives from the Nassau County Homicide Squad are investigating an explosion that destroyed a boat, burned two docks, and killed one person in Manorhaven on Wednesday afternoon. Two dock workers and two boaters were gassing up a docked 33-foot Carver motor boat just after 2:45 p.m. when an explosion tore through the boat, setting it and the dock on fire, police said.
  • New York Islanders to be sold

    New York Islanders to be sold

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 2:54 PM EDT2014-08-19 18:54:30 GMT
    The New York Islanders have announced that the team is being sold to a former Washington Capitals co-owner and a London-based investor. In a statement Tuesday, the team says a group led by former Capitals co-owner Jon Ledecky and investor Scott Malkin has reached an agreement to buy a "substantial" minority interest in the team.
    The New York Islanders have announced that the team is being sold to a former Washington Capitals co-owner and a London-based investor. In a statement Tuesday, the team says a group led by former Capitals co-owner Jon Ledecky and investor Scott Malkin has reached an agreement to buy a "substantial" minority interest in the team.
  • Cuomo asks feds to review LI flood damage

    Cuomo asks feds to review LI flood damage

    Monday, August 18 2014 5:11 PM EDT2014-08-18 21:11:56 GMT
    New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced he is asking for a federal assessment of the flood damage in Suffolk County to see if property owners are eligible for disaster loans and other aid. The Town of Islip had 13.5 inches of rain on August 13, a one-day record. The record-breaking rainfall damaged an estimated 400 Long Island homes. Moffit Boulevard was one of hardest hit streets in Islip.
    New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced he is asking for a federal assessment of the flood damage in Suffolk County to see if property owners are eligible for disaster loans and other aid. The Town of Islip had 13.5 inches of rain on August 13, a one-day record. The record-breaking rainfall damaged an estimated 400 Long Island homes. Moffit Boulevard was one of hardest hit streets in Islip.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices