Closure notices sent to Trump Plaza workers - My9 New Jersey

Closure notices sent to Trump Plaza workers

Posted: Updated:
AP file photo/Mel Evans AP file photo/Mel Evans
By WAYNE PERRY

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) - Job losses at Trump Plaza when the Atlantic City casino shuts down in September will be even worse than expected.

Trump Entertainment Resorts began mailing notices to its workers on Monday, informing them that while a final decision has not been reached, management expects to close the casino on Sept. 16.


 Read more:  Is Atlantic City the next Detroit?


The notice says 1,153 people will lose their jobs, up from estimates of just over 1,000 last week.

The figure is contained in federally-required WARN notices that must be sent to workers at least 60 days before an anticipated shutdown or mass layoff. In the notice, a copy of which was obtained by The Associated Press, the company lists 1,153 under a section that reads, "Number of employees to be terminated."

The job losses are sending shock waves through what until just a few years ago was the nation's second-largest gambling market. New Jersey has now lost that position to Pennsylvania.

Trump Plaza has been the worst-performing of Atlantic City's 11 casinos, and is one of three casinos currently operating that could close before fall.

The Showboat is closing Aug. 31, and Revel says it will shut down if a buyer can't be found in bankruptcy court.

The Atlantic Club shut down in January.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Man kills wife, wounds self at NJ hospital

    Man kills wife, wounds self at NJ hospital

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 11:50 AM EDT2014-08-27 15:50:16 GMT
    Authorities say a man fatally shot his wife and wounded himself at a hospital in southern New Jersey. Camden County Prosecutor's Office spokesman Jason Laughlin says the shooting happened Wednesday at Kennedy University Hospital in Stratford. The man was being treated for his injuries.
    Authorities say a man fatally shot his wife and wounded himself at a hospital in southern New Jersey. Camden County Prosecutor's Office spokesman Jason Laughlin says the shooting happened Wednesday at Kennedy University Hospital in Stratford. The man was being treated for his injuries.

  • Mayor Zimmer urges lawmakers to legalize app-based taxi services

    Mayor Zimmer urges lawmakers to legalize app-based taxi services

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 11:22 AM EDT2014-08-27 15:22:39 GMT
    Hitching a ride in Hoboken should be as simple as tapping a button but as of now, mobile apps like Uber that connect users with drivers through the use of GPS technology are currently illegal in Hoboken. Now, Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer has released a statement expressing her support for Rideshare services and imploring state legislatures to take action.
    Hitching a ride in Hoboken should be as simple as tapping a button but as of now, mobile apps like Uber that connect users with drivers through the use of GPS technology are currently illegal in Hoboken. Now, Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer has released a statement expressing her support for Rideshare services and imploring state legislatures to take action.
  • Ghosts of Sandy still visible in Ortley Beach

    Ghosts of Sandy still visible in Ortley Beach

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 11:20 AM EDT2014-08-27 15:20:51 GMT
    It's nearly two years since Superstorm Sandy blasted into Ortley Beach and decimated this small section of Toms River. And the storm-slammed empty houses on some streets and trailers on lots are painful reminders that Ortley Beach was dubbed “ground zero” by some after the Oct. 29, 2012 storm devastated the Jersey coast. A number of Ortley Beach residents attended the Aug. 26 Township Council meeting to ask what, if anything, can be done to speed things up.
    It's nearly two years since Superstorm Sandy blasted into Ortley Beach and decimated this small section of Toms River. And the storm-slammed empty houses on some streets and trailers on lots are painful reminders that Ortley Beach was dubbed “ground zero” by some after the Oct. 29, 2012 storm devastated the Jersey coast. A number of Ortley Beach residents attended the Aug. 26 Township Council meeting to ask what, if anything, can be done to speed things up.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices