FDNY firefighter dies in Harlem movie set fire

Image 1 of 3

NEW YORK (AP) — A New York City firefighter died early Friday battling a fierce blaze on a movie set in a former jazz club after getting separated from his fellow firefighters in the thick smoke.

The fire started in the cellar as the crew of "Motherless Brooklyn," directed by Edward Norton, was nearing the end of its working day at 11 p.m. Thursday. Flames poured out the windows as firefighters stormed into the five-story Harlem building, dumping water on the blaze to get it under control.

Firefighter Michael R. Davidson of Engine Co. 69 was assigned to the nozzle on the lead hose-line and pushed into the burning basement.

But the blaze was too much. Firefighters had to back out, and Davidson was separated from his colleagues. Firefighters searched desperately for him, and he was found unconscious after suffering severe smoke inhalation, Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said. Davidson was pronounced dead at a hospital shortly after midnight.

"This is an awful night," Eric Phillips, a spokesman for Mayor Bill de Blasio, said in a tweet. "You haven't heard a scream until you've heard the scream of a mother who's seen her son give his life to protect us."

The building was being used to film the adaptation of the Jonathan Lethem novel of the same name. Norton was directing and starring, along with Bruce Willis, Willem Dafoe and Alec Baldwin.

Neighborhood resident Daquan Evans, 28, told the New York Post he saw Norton at the scene.

"He looked pretty upset," Evans said. "This is crazy, this fire. You think a movie comes up here and it is good for the neighborhood. Not a fire . . . damn."

The cause of the five-alarm fire was under investigation. The building, built in 1920, is a landmark and was home to the former St. Nick's Jazz Pub, a venerable bar that was closed in 2011.

Background actor Ambroise Ironfence said the movie crew wasn't using any open fire during the shoot and the building's power wasn't on.

"All the equipment we were using ... the power came from the truck outside," he told WCBS-TV.

The movie crew didn't need a city film production permit to work at the building because it was a private — though unoccupied — residence. The filmmakers did need a street parking permit and had one, officials said.

Neighbor Joan Adams, who lives two buildings away, said when she looked outside after smelling smoke, fire trucks already had arrived.

"You could see smoke billowing out of what would've been the basement," she said. "It was white smoke, then after a while, thick black smoke was billowing out of there."

Two other firefighters suffered burns and were in serious condition, and three others were injured, Nigro said.

"Our department and our entire city mourn this tragic loss of a very brave firefighter," Nigro said.

Producers said crews immediately called the fire department when they noticed smoke coming into the set and other parts of the building.

"We watched firsthand with astonishment as they charged into the smoke to make sure all were safely out and then fought to contain the blaze and prevent it from spreading, putting their lives on the line as they do every day," the producers said in a statement sending condolences to the firefighter's family.

Neighbors said the movie crew had set up a sign that read "King Rooster Jazz Club" and began filming about two weeks ago. Cars from the 1950s era lined the street.

Douglas Miller, 35, who lives across the street in a second-floor apartment, said the fire traveled fast and went all the way to the roof. He saw firefighters carry out one of their own, on a stretcher, and try to resuscitate him and give him oxygen.

"They tried to save him, but they couldn't," Miller said, and soon the firefighter was being rushed to a hospital.

Davidson had been a firefighter about 15 years and had been cited four times for his bravery on the job. He leaves behind a wife, Eileen, and four children under 8.  He was the son of a retired firefighter.

Neighbors described Davidson as a salt-of-the-earth guy, a great friend, father and husband.

"He was a great guy — he went up and down and did everybody's sidewalk in the snow. He was playing with the kids in the snow yesterday," said Joanne Caldon.

The building owner's phone number wasn't accepting messages Friday; an email message failed. The phone for a lawyer who has represented him in real-estate cases also wasn't accepting messages Friday.

Associated Press Writer Sophia Hall contributed to this report.


Fire Commissioner Daniel A. Nigro today announced the death of Firefighter Michael R. Davidson of Engine Company 69 in Manhattan, a 15-year veteran of the FDNY who died from critical injuries sustained while fighting a 5th alarm fire in Harlem on Friday, March 23, 2018.
"Firefighter Davidson bravely battled many fires and responded to countless calls for help from New Yorkers throughout his 15 years of dedicated service," said Commissioner Nigro. "Our department and our entire city mourn this tragic loss of a very brave Firefighter."

Firefighter Davidson and the members of Engine 69 responded at 10:50 p.m. on Thursday, March 22, along with additional fire units to reports of fire in the basement of a five-story building at 773 St. Nicholas Avenue in Manhattan. Firefighter Davidson, who was assigned to the nozzle – with the responsibility of operating a hoseline to suppress the fire – became separated from his fellow Firefighters inside the rapidly deteriorating fire conditions. After a desperate search to locate Firefighter Davidson, he was transported to Harlem Hospital where he died.

Firefighter Davidson was appointed as a Firefighter in May of 2003 and assigned to Engine Company 69 in Harlem. On four different occasions he was cited for bravery and life-saving actions. He is the 1,150th member of the Department to make the Supreme Sacrifice in the line-of-duty. His death comes eight days after the deaths of Lieutenant Christopher J. Raguso and Fire Marshal Christopher T. "Tripp" Zanetis, who died in an American military helicopter crash in Iraq.

Firefighter Davidson of Floral Park, New York, is survived by his wife, Eileen, and their four children; three daughters, ages 7, 3, and 1 and a son, age 6. Firefighter Davidson is the son of retired Firefighter Robert Davidson, who served the Department for 26 years (primarily in the same firehouse as his son); and the brother of Firefighter Eric Davidson, an 11-year veteran, of Engine Company 88 in the Bronx.

Funeral arrangements are pending.