Funeral services for Jaelynn Willey, 16-year-old killed in Maryland school shooting, announced

Funeral services for a 16-year-old girl killed in a Maryland school shooting have been announced.

Authorities said Jaelynn Willey was shot in the head by 17-year-old Austin Rollins in a hallway at Great Mills High School in St. Mary’s County on March 20. Officials said Jaelynn and the suspect were in a relationship that had recently ended.

Jaelynn, the second oldest of nine children, was rushed to the University of Maryland Prince George's Hospital Center in critical condition and was later taken off life support after doctors determined she was brain dead. She was pronounced dead on Thursday.

Jaelynn’s visitation will be held from 2 to 7 p.m. on Thursday at the Hollywood Volunteer Fire Department, located at 24801 Three Notch Rd. A prayer service is scheduled at the fire department that afternoon at 3 p.m.

Her funeral service will be held at the fire department on Friday at 10 a.m. You can find more details of Jaelynn’s funeral services here.

After shooting Willey, authorities said Rollins shot 14-year-old Desmond Barnes in the leg before being engaged by School Resource Officer Deputy 1st Class Blaine Gaskill.

St. Mary’s County Sheriff Tim Cameron said Gaskill fired at the shooter, and almost simultaneously, the Rollins also fired. Rollins shot himself in the head, was rushed to the hospital and he was later pronounced dead, according to officials.

Desmond was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries and was released the following day.

Officials said the gun used by Rollins during the school shooting was legally owned by his father. It is illegal in Maryland for any person under the age of 21 to possess a handgun unless it is required for their employment.

Four days following the shooting, an estimated 250 students from Great Mills marched together in the March For Our Lives in Washington to honor Jaelynn and demand action from Congress on gun violence.

A YouCaring fundraising page created for Willey's family has raised more than $91,000 since the shooting.