After 20 years of negotiations, the Cedar Grove Town Council approved an ordinance at its meeting Monday, allowing K. Hovanian to move forward in building 460 townhomes on the property off Fairview Avenue.
"This issue is the most important issue I've seen in my 18 years of serving on the council," Deputy Mayor Joe Chiusolo told the crowd of more than 100 residents. "It is an issue that has paralyzed much of our community. We've kicked the can to June 1, but now we have a decision we have to make."
According to Township Manager Tom Tucci, the plan provides the following:
- 460 townhomes versus the 1,000 that had been originally proposed
- 77 acres of open space to be made into a county park
- Demolition of the old hospital buildings on the property
- K. Hovanian pays $1 million redevelopment fee to Cedar Grove
- K. Hovanian builds a new two-bay firehouse in South End, including the demo of the existing firehouse and the building next to it.
- K. Hovanian builds a new baseball field
- 90 units will be offered as affordable housing.
By: Jeanne Moreno (TAPinto.net)