Latest Connecticut news, sports, business and entertainment


Man shot to death in Hartford's North End

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — An early morning shooing in Hartford has left a 38-year-old man dead.

Police say they responded to a home on Pliny Street at about 3 a.m. Wednesday after the city's ShotSpotter system detected multiple gunshots in the area.

Police say the victim was found with gunshot wounds to his torso and legs. He was transported to Saint Francis Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The man's name has not been released, and no arrests have been made.


Police: 1-year-old boy found unresponsive in bathtub

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Hartford police say a 1-year-old boy was rushed to the hospital after he was found unresponsive in a bathtub.

Firefighters responded to the home around 2:30 p.m. Tuesday after receiving reports from family that the infant was unconscious. When crews arrived, the boy was already being taken to the hospital in a private car.

The driver of the car flagged down a firetruck minutes later and EMS workers performed CPR on the boy. An ambulance then took him to the Connecticut Children's Medical Center where he remains in critical condition.

Officials say the boy's father is in custody for outstanding warrants unrelated to this case.

The Hartford Police Department's major crimes division is investigating the incident.


Feds charge another police official in drug investigation

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — A member of Easton's police commission has become the latest law enforcement official charged with participating in a drug ring that dealt in steroid and prescription narcotics.

Raymond Martin appeared Tuesday in U.S. District Court in New Haven charged with conspiracy to possess oxycodone with intent to distribute, an offense that carries a possible 20 year prison term.

Prosecutors say the 48-year-old Martin was caught on a wiretap texting with others about the distribution of oxycodone and anabolic steroids. He is the 12th person charged in the case. Other defendants include two Newtown police officials and a state judicial marshal.

Martin was released on bond. He did not immediately return a message seeking comment left Wednesday at a smoke shop he owns in Stratford.


Military veteran gets 14 years in sexual assault case

(Information in the following story is from: Hartford Courant, )

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. (AP) — A Connecticut military veteran who was accused of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old girl two years ago has been sentenced to 14 years in prison.

The Hartford Courant reports a Middletown judge handed down the sentence to 36-year-old Robert Andrews on Tuesday.

Andrews, an 18-year veteran who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, pleaded guilty earlier this year to first-degree assault, first-degree sexual assault and risk of injury to a minor.

The victim told police she asked Andrews for a ride to West Haven in November 2013.

She said Andrews put her in a headlock that caused her to pass out, and she woke up in a farm with her pants down.

Prosecutors say she suffered life-threatening injuries.

Andrews' lawyer apologized for him and told the court that "some things are just inexplicable."


Bridgeport officials to hold gun buyback program

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) — Bridgeport officials are organizing a gun buyback program in the wake of recent firearm violence.

Officials say the city's gun buyback program kicks off Saturday morning at 10 a.m. and will run until 2 p.m. at the Bridgeport Police Department.

The program, aimed at getting illegal guns off the street, allows people to drop off a weapon and get money for it. Gun dealers are not eligible to participate.

It will pay $200 for a working handgun and $400 for an assault rifle— with no questions asked.

Nine people were shot last month in Bridgeport, including one death.

Bridgeport Police Chief Joseph Gaudett Jr. says the program is a tool to keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them.